Reclaiming VAT is a form of getting your money back from countries where you are not registered for VAT but you still somehow spent some money there. In most EU countries like Slovenia, VAT is refundable if you claim it back but your reasons must be valid.
This can be a difficult task because of constant changes in the area of each country’s VAT reclaim regulations. In these complex situations we are specialized to help you.
What are valid reasons for VAT reclaiming in Slovenia?
Some of the most common expenses that are valid reasons for VAT reclaiming in Slovenia regarding business travels are:
- Public transport and Taxis
- Office expenses
- Meetings, incentive trips, conferences, events …
- Training and/or seminars
- Conferences, trade shows and exhibitions
The first question you need to be asking is if your VAT is actually reclaimable. Keep in mind that VAT is reclaimable only if it is spent for goods and/or services that are required for your business. You also have to make sure that your VAT was charged and paid appropriately before you file for a VAT reclaim.
What conditions must be met for VAT reclaiming in Slovenia?
There are certain conditions for reclaiming VAT:
- Your company is not established or VAT registered in the EU country of VAT payment
- You can get a VAT reclaim only on quarterly or yearly basis
- If you apply late, you will be rejected by that country’s Tax Authorities and you will not be able to reclaim VAT
- VAT refund claims must be submitted at the latest by 30th September following the expiry of the calendar year in which VAT was paid
- Almost all EU countries have set minimum amounts you have to spend so that VAT can be reclaimed and these are:
– 400 EUR for refund claims on a quarterly basis
– 50 EUR for refund claims on a yearly basis
Which documents are necessary for VAT reclaiming in Slovenia?
The documents that are necessary for VAT reclaim in Slovenia are:
- Purchase invoices copies
- Import documents copies
The duration of the Tax Authority’s decision whether or not your application has been approved is usually made in a period of 4 months. However, if there are any additional requirements from the Tax Authorities, the process can take longer. Once your VAT reclaim is approved, the money will be transferred to your bank account directly.